top of page

Voter Registration FAQs

The following was adapted from content researched and put together by our friends at Global Bersih, and has been reproduced here with their permission.

Anchor 1
Anchor 2
Anchor 3
Anchor 4
Anchor 5





Am I eligible to vote?

Since 15th December 2021, all Malaysians over the age of 18 are eligible to vote and will be automatically registered on the electoral roll. 

[back to top]

Where can I go to register as a voter?

Since the introduction of automatic registration , you do not have to to register to be a voter as you will be automatically registered after you turn 18.

[back to top]


How long does it take for a Malaysian citizen who has reached the age of 18 to be automatically registered as a voter by the EC?

This automatic voter registration process will take up to a month and a half from the day the individual reaches 18 years of age.

[back to top]


Am I already a registered voter?

If you are over 18 , you should be automatically registered. You can check your voting information at:

[back to top]


Are there citizens aged 18 and over who are not automatically registered?

Yes. Those with incomplete addresses are not automatically registered—likewise, those who are disqualified as voters according to the law

[back to top]


How do I  check my voting information online?

  • Go to the SPR website

  • Choose ‘Semakan Daftar Pemilih’ 

  • Enter your Malaysian IC number to retrieve your voting information. 

  • Make sure all information stated there is correct

[back to top]

What should a new voter do if there is an error in personal details or the designation of the constituency in the electoral roll?

You can apply for amendments using Form C available online at or


[back to top]

Can I change my address on the Electoral Roll because I have moved to another address and want to vote in my new area?

Any application for a change of address in the voter register must follow the address in the Identity Card. He/She must first apply for a change of address on the Identification Card at the National Registration Department. After that he can apply for a change of polling place address in the voter register at or


[back to top]

I am no longer a Malaysian citizen but my name still appears in the electoral roll. What can I do to remove it?

SPR usually clears the electoral roll every quarter against those who have passed away and those who have given up their citizenship/ has had their citizenship revoked. If your name persists in the electoral roll 3 months after giving up your citizenship, do lodge a complaint with SPR -


[back to top]


Are there any fees or charges for amendments applications made?


[back to top]

Anchor 6
Anchor 7
Anchor 8
Anchor 9
Anchor 10
bottom of page